For this post I made a Greek salad that is best served as an appetizer.
For the flavor I used a prepared dressing which included: ground black pepper, lemon juice, red wine vinegar. By combining these simple ingredients I can make the salad much more flavorful by using commonly used Greek spices.
1/2 head of lettuce
1 Roma tomato, cut in wedges
1/3 cucumber (peeled, seeded, and chopped)
1/3 red onion, julienne
1/3 red or yellow pepper (seeded and cut in large dice)
2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (or to taste)
1/3 cup kalamata olives
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 lemon juice
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp fresh minced garlic
1/2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
Pinch of sugar
1/4 tsp ground black pepper (or to taste)
- For the dressing; in a processor or use a wire whisk process / whisk the olive oil with lemon juice, dried oregano, garlic, dried basil, red wine vinegar, salt and sugar until smooth (add in more oregano and lemon juice if needed).
- Season with black pepper.
- Place the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over; toss to combine.
- If desired allow the salad to sit a room temperature for 20 minutes before serving, or you can refrigerate for 1 hour (tossing a few times during this time).
The salad consists of:
- Base: Is an ingredient on which the salad lies or rests.
- Body: this is the main part of the salad, while the garnish is a single item that you serve with the body of the salad.
- Dressings: The dressing provides flavor such as tartness or spiciness, seasoning and moistness.
- Garnish: garnish should not be masked by heavy dressings, instead use Vinaigrette dressings so as to boost the light texture of the salad or herbs.
Process of making salad
Some similar salad recipe’s
- 1 head romaine lettuce rinsed, dried and chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can pitted black olives
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a large salad bowl, combine the Romaine, onion, olives, bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumber and cheese.
- Whisk together the olive oil, oregano, lemon juice and black pepper. Pour dressing over salad, toss and serve.
- 3/4 pound tomatoes, seeded, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups diced seeded peeled cucumber (from about 1 large)
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (from about 1 large)
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives or other brine-cured black olives, halved
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 2 ounces)
- Toss first 9 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Gently mix in cheese. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large plum tomatoes, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cucumber, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives (preferably brine-cured), coarsely chopped
- A heaping half cup crumbled feta cheese
1 Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, vinegar, oregano and dill weed together until blended. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. (Can be prepared 3 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewhisk before using.)
2 Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, olives in a bowl. Toss with dressing. Sprinkle cheese over and serve.